Thank you for your interest in the Marion S. Whelan School of Practical Nursing. Our program is a 10 month Practical Nursing program. Graduates of our program are eligible to sit for the licensing exam for practical nurses. If you are looking for information on the RN Nursing Program (click on the link to the right) FLHCON – RN program
A competitive process is used for ranking applicants for the Practical Nursing Program Admissions. Points are assigned to specific criteria. All applicant transcripts are evaluated for required coursework that has been completed and admission points will be awarded based the final grade earned for each completed course that is required for the program. Applicant files are then ranked by Academic Points MSW admission points after the close of the application period*. Admission will be offered based on qualified students from highest to lowest.
*Ranking points will be awarded for:
- Most recent GPA.
- Courses taken that meet the grade requirement (final grade C or higher) and especially good grades in Anatomy & Physiology I and II, and Microbiology (the sciences)
- Previous certification as a health care provider (EMT, CNA, HHA, etc.) with documentation.
- Completion of Kaplan Admission Entrance Exam (after you submit your application call to schedule the exam. The Entrance is taken here at the Geneva Finger Lakes Health – MSWSPN School Campus and the exam is free.
In order to be considered for acceptance into the Practical Nursing Program, you must have successfully completed a course in Basic Biology or Anatomy & Physiology I with a final grade of “C” or better within five (5) years of application to our program. You may take a Biology class or Anatomy & Physiology I through your local college to meet this requirement. This course is also offered through distance education programs such as NursingABC NursingABC.com/Portage. You also need to have an official High School or a GED transcript. High school seniors may apply prior to their actual graduation date. If you are a High School Senior review the admission points link to the right: MSW admission points high school seniors
- Applications are accepted online from November 1st through February 1st for the Fall admission period each year. Decision letters are mailed out the 1st week of March.
- Applicants for the January admission must also have completed Nursing Fundamentals (from another nursing program) within 2 years of application with a final grade of C+ or higher. Application period opens June 1st and closes on October 1st. Decision letters are mailed out the 1st week of November for January admission to the program.
All applications must be submitted online along with required application fee. Acknowledgment of receipt of online application will be sent from the School of Nursing via email (check your SPAM folder). All supporting documentation; high school / GED official transcript, proof of completion of Biology requirement OR Anatomy & Physiology I must be received by the School of Nursing by the stated application deadline to the address noted below.
Former students applying for readmission will be ranked along with new applicants. Applicants who do not receive an offer of acceptance are encouraged to contact the School of Nursing to discuss an academic plan for future application consideration.
If you are planning on continuing to a Registered Nursing program, you will also need to complete a Basic Chemistry course.
If you have not completed English I with three college credits, you will be required to take Freshman English I. You will need to take a Pre-Placement Test (at no charge to you) prior to registering for the course. Please call the FLCC Extension Center at (315) 789-6701 to make arrangements to take the test.
Again, thank you for your interest in our school. Please call us at (315) 787-4005 if you have additional questions.
All documents should be mailed to:
MSWSPN – Student Admissions Department
196 North Street
Geneva, NY 14456
Phone: (315) 787-4005
Fax: (315) 787-4275